Last Updated: August 15, 2023
What information do you collect about me?
The information that we collect about you falls into these general categories:
• Information that you provide. We may collect information that you choose to provide to us (including content that you submit to us or when you subscribe to our newsletter(s) or provide us with content for our site). This may include information such as your name, e-mail address, phone number, year of birth, gender, zip code, country, postal address, user name, password, and password reminder questions and answers. We may ask you for information when you register or subscribe, or at other times—such as when you enter a contest, take a survey, participate in a promotion, provide content, or order products from us. We may be required by law to collect certain personal data about you or as a consequence of any contractual relationship we have with you. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfillment of these obligations.
• Automated information. Using technologies that are widely used on the Internet, such as cookies, web beacons, and other technologies, we also may automatically collect information about your computer or mobile device and online activity when you access the Services. For example, when you visit launchscout.com, we may collect your Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and operating system, as well as information about which pages you visit and the page, if any, that referred you to our sites or that you visit after our sites. Similarly, when you use our mobile applications, we may collect information about your mobile device, such as the type of mobile device you use or your device identifier.
• Location information. When you use the Services, we may collect information about your location separately from your address or other information that you provide to us explicitly. For instance, we may use the GPS feature of your mobile device or your IP address to help determine your geographic location. If you prefer that we not know your geographic location, you will have the option to disable the function when you first use the service in which we collect information about your location (or later, if your mobile device allows you to change the settings after initial download). Disabling the geolocation function may prevent you from using certain features of our Services that require location information.
• Social networking information. If you log-in to Launch Scout through a social networking account (e.g., Facebook or Twitter), we may collect information about you from that social networking account, including your name, email address, birthday, profile photograph, and other information associated with your social networking account.
• Information from other sources. We may combine the information that we collect with information that we obtain from other sources, such as our past and present affiliates, our business partners, licensees, contractors, and service providers. For example, we may ask a service provider to supply us with demographic information or updated contact information for you. For more information about the third parties from which we collect your personal data, please contact us at the contact information below.
How do you use this information?
We use the information that we collect about you for these purposes:
• to manage your account;
• to provide you with the products and services you request;
• to respond to your requests, questions, and comments;
• to perform business analyses or for other purposes to improve the quality of our business, the products and services we offer, including through surveys and questionnaires;
• to deliver targeted advertising, as described below;
• and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.;
We also do research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior to help us operate our Services, for other business purposes, and in connection with our display of advertising (which we describe below). This research is based on the information you provide to us including upon registration during a promotion, in surveys, and on your use of our Services.
With whom do you share this information?
We may share the information that we collect about you through the Services in these ways:
• with authorized service providers that help us provide the Services or perform other business functions for us, such as sending emails or hosting web services (but these service providers are not permitted to use personal data that we provide for any purpose other than to provide service to us);
• with our corporate affiliates, licensees, and contractors, including the affiliated businesses;
• in the context of contests or other promotions in which we identify an outside entity, with the identified entity;
• to respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process, in response to a request for cooperation from law enforcement or another government agency, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
• when we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, or as otherwise required by law;
• to enforce our other agreements, or otherwise protect or defend our rights or property or the rights or property of others, or the safety of the public;
• in connection with a corporate transaction, such as a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale;
• in aggregated or other non-personally identifiable form;
• and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
Any information that you submit may become accessible through search engines or, if you sign in using credentials from a third-party social networking service, to users on that service. Unless otherwise noted, we do not limit the distribution of information that you share using these features.
How do you decide which advertisements to show me on the Services?
The Services are offered to you free of charge because we cover the cost of providing our Services by displaying advertisements. Many of these advertisements are targeted, which means that advertisers tell us the type of audience they want to reach (for example, men over 25 years old). The targeted ads on the Services may be provided by us, or they may be provided by a third-party vendor. We may use automated decision-making to customize your experience based on your personal information. You can learn more about targeted ads, including how to opt out of receiving them, below.
We sometimes partner with third parties that operate platforms or offer services that you can use to access or otherwise interact with our content and offerings. For example, you can access Launch Scout on your Apple iPad or iPhone. Similarly, we may include in some of our Services features that integrate with third-party social networking services or other third-party services. To do this, we may include in our web pages and apps code from the social networking service provider or other third party. This code may allow the service provider to collect information about your activities. If you are logged into social networking or other third-party services at the time, the service providers may also be able to identify you in connection with that information.
How do you protect the security of the information you store?
We have in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to protect the information we collect through the Services. However, no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our database, nor can we guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to us via the Services.
How long do you keep the information you collect from me?
In some circumstances, we may aggregate and de-identify your information in such a way that you may not reasonably be re-identified by us or any other company in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data: see below for further information.
What rights do I have regarding data about me?
If you would like to access, review, revise or delete personal data we have collected from you, please contact us as provided below. Your specific rights regarding access, review, revision or deletion your information is proscribed by local laws. Specific applicable local laws may be outlined below.
Do you collect information from children?
We do not knowingly collect personal information (as that term is defined in the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13. If we learn that we have collected any personal information from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information from our database promptly.
What are cookies and web beacons and how are they used on the Services?
You may opt out of the browser cookies delivered through the Services by changing the setting on your browser, such as through Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari. Please be aware that this will disable all cookies delivered to your browser, not just the ones that we deliver, and that you may not be able to use all of the Services if you do not allow the placement of cookies. Also, opting out of browser cookies will not disable other technologies that we may use to collect information from you, including “Flash cookies.”
You also can opt out of receiving information stored in Adobe Local Shared Objects, which are commonly referred to as “Flash cookies.” You can find more information about Local Shared Objects and how to disable them on Adobe’s website at kb2.adobe.com/cps/526/52697ee8.html. As with browser cookies, disabling Local Shared Objects may interfere with the proper functioning of the Services.
We or our third-party partners also may use technologies called web beacons that communicate information from your Internet browser to a web server. Web beacons can be embedded in web pages, videos, or emails, and can allow a web server to read certain types of information from your browser, check whether you have viewed a particular web page or email message, and determine, among other things, the time and date on which you viewed the web beacon, the IP address of your computer, and the URL of the web page from which the web beacon was viewed. We and our partners use web beacons for a variety of purposes, including analyzing the use of the Services and in conjunction with cookies to provide content and ads that are more relevant to you. You may disable our web beacons in email messages by turning off images in your email client (e.g., Outlook, Outlook Express). Please see the instructions for your particular email client for more information. Please also be aware that by turning off images you may not be able to enjoy all of the Services as they were designed to be viewed.
What choices do I have regarding your use of information about me?
Email messages. If you do not wish to receive emailed promotional material from us, you can opt out by clicking the unsubscribe mechanism in our promotional emails or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that, even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from us, we may still contact you to provide you with non-commercial messages, such as legal notices. Also, if you opt out, we may not provide to you non-promotional material, such as our emailed newsletters and other content.
• Google’s use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to your users based on their visit to your sites and/or other sites on the Internet.
Google Ads opt out. If you would prefer not to receive advertisements through the Services that are targeted to your interests, you can inform our advertising vendor, Google, Inc., of your preference by clicking the “Opt out” button at www.google.com/privacy_ads.html. You also can manage your advertising preferences at www.google.com/ads/preferences/.
Many third-party vendors that perform these functions are members of the Network Advertising Initiative, and you can opt out of those vendors’ delivery of targeted advertising to you by visiting www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and www.aboutads.info/choices/. Some of our Services use technology for this purpose provided by Adobe. You can express your preferences regarding Adobe’s use of information about you here.
Sometimes, our advertisers will contract with a third-party service to host their ads. In this case, an ad-serving vendor contacts the advertisers’ hosting service to obtain a particular advertisement. Because we do not have a relationship with these third parties, we do not have a mechanism to allow visitors to opt out of tracking by these vendors.
Is my data transferred internationally?
Launch Scout is headquartered in the United States. Please be aware that information you provide to us or we obtain as a result of your use of the Services may be collected in your country and subsequently transferred to the United States or another country in accordance with applicable law. The privacy and data protection laws in another country may not be equivalent to such laws in your country of residence. By using and participating in the Services or providing us with your information, you understand that Launch Scout will process your information in the United States.